You’ve probably heard countless scare stories of fruits and vegetables that are ‘toxic’ for you. Well technically yes, toxicity is a common trait among plants yet is as normal for plants as having chlorophyll. However, you’ll only reach this level of toxicity if you consume these plants the wrong way and in too much quantity.
Here are some fruit and vegetable toxicity myths you should get straight:
Everyone’s favorite nut isn’t really a nut. It’s a seed that grows from the cashew apple on the cashew tree. The raw cashew is covered in a toxic resin which is contained in the seed’s shell and oils. This is why they are always de-shelled and why they are always cooked. Handling of raw cashews cause intense “poison-ivy-like” rashes and irritation that most employees in cashew plantations experience, even damaging their hands permanently.
Apples and cyanide have long been used in the same sentence together, but let us clear this up for you. The apple seeds contain a harmless compound called amygdalin that is converted and released as cyanide when the seed structure is compromised. Rest easy, an adult would need to chew and swallow roughly 167,000 seeds in one sitting to be poisoned by an apple seed.
Rhubarb is a perennial that grows in bright red stalks that contains large fleshy leaves that is considered a dessert staple. The leaves are high in oxalic acid, which is bad news for anyone with kidney damage. This compound targets the kidneys and destroys their tissues. However for anyone with normal kidneys, it would take a lot of rhubarb leaves to do any damage, as in 11 pounds worth since it takes 25 grams of oxalic acid for a lethal does for someone who weighs 143 pounds.
Watch the full video here to see more plant toxicity myths you should get straight. [mashshare]